Tuesday, August 28, 2007
The trailer of much awaited film of the year , Saawariya, is out now and it looks like another Bhansali Masterpiece is on the cards . The movie is first Indian Production of Columbia Films (SONY International) and looks like a huge sum of money is spent by them on this one. I've read that they are releasing this trailer in over 1450 screens worldwide which itself is some kinda Record for any Indian Film. It is also the first Indian film to be made entirely in $ and not Rs.
Well talking about the film , the story is inspired by a short story "White Nights" by some European writer I believe(not sure though). From the promo it looks it is another Musical Extravaganza which has been shot very beautifully. The Promo does not give out any details about the plot of the movie but certainly creates an impression on the viewer's mind. The promo starts showing a girl lying on a boat floating in some lake . Then the hero is shown playing a guitar , which makes sure that he is a musician. The film is artistically shot and looks like entire movie is shot on Beautiful Sets and is more Shakespearean in Nature. The story, as far as I could guess from the rushes, is also Shakespeare types.
Now for the people who don't know the Movie stars Ranbir Kapoor(son of Rishi Kapoor) and Sonam Kapoor(daughter of Anil Kapoor) as the Leads . And the film also has Salman and Rani in it(who are not shown in the promo) . The movie has a lot of European look since SLB (sanjay leela bhansali ) is inspired by European cinema a lot. Anyways , looks like the Star-kids have got a great Platform in the form of this Movie for their Launch. The Rushes are very exciting and it is a potential BIGGIE.
Considering the Teaser of Om Shanti Om (SRK's Next) not up to the mark (which might clash with it) , the movie is going to make wonders.
One thing is for sure this DIWALI when both the movies will release a lot of Fireworks will be seen On-Screen. Two Thumbs-up for Saawariya's Trailer and only half thumb up for Om Shanti Om (Farah Khan) which does not excite as much as this one.
Sunday, August 26, 2007
Heyy Baby------Movie Review
After long wait Saajid Khan's first attempt to Cinema got released . Well as a first attempt it was quite good (compared to her sister's attempt--Main hoon na). The movie starts off really well with the Title track along with the Hot actresses making quite clear what kind of Play-Boys the lead actors are . Well Saajid said that its a family film , I dont know what made him say so. The first half of the film is full of Adult Humour. But the best thing is that for first time the actors have pulled it off quite well without making it vulgar . The comedy is really delivered very well by actors especially Akshay.
Speaking of story the film is about three irresponsible guys who get a baby "delivered" to there house without mentioning the name of father. Then starts the whole process of deciding who the real father is and in the process also takin care of a baby who has no mother. How the three guys become father to a baby makes it quite funny to watch? Three of them slowly get attached to the baby very deeply when suddenly the mother , Vidya balan, turns up at the door with cops and takes away the baby. Akshay meets Vidya in India at a friends wedding and after everything happens there is a huge misunderstanding and knows the real him . She leaves him and then lands a baby at the Boys house. After an year or so she turns up and takes away the baby from boys. Then they fight for her and Akshay realises that he loves her and tries to get back with her.
Speakin of acting performances out of the three Akshay as usual has the main and better part which he performs to his best . The other two guys also perform quite well . Boman,Vidya's father, performs really well and steals the show event though he has a small role. Vidya is good but she does not have a lot of role to perform (considering Parineeta). The acting perforamnces on a whole were quite good . The direction was also good and nothing stupid is shown and everything makes a sense(unlike David's films).
The film genre gets trapped between Comedy and Emotional hence suffers a little bit. The director has dragged the end quite long and the songs in between are quite a turn off. The film in overall can be watched once but is not a classic one. Since saajid is first timer he can be granted Bail.
Therating for nmovie from my side is two and a half star for good comic timing and ofcourse SRK's entry.
Sunday, August 19, 2007
- CHAK DE! INDIA 2007 Spurred by a no-nonsense coach fighting demons of the past, a bunch of no-hope-in-hell hockey players dribble past gender prejudices and overcome their own insecurities to win the women’s World Cup. Director Shimit Amin’s flick makes you laugh, cry and soar
- JO JEETA WOHI SIKANDER 1992 Shopkeeper’s boy ignores the neighbourhood sweetheart and dreams of hooking up with the school’s gold-digging hotbod. Redemption comes calling in a cycle race he wins despite all odds
- SAHEB 1985 Young goalkeeper (Anil Kapoor) with a heart of gold sells his kidney and barters his career for the sake of family. Reward comes in the form of a great job and the horsy Amrita Singh. Original Bengali version starred Tapas Pal, Tollywood star and Trinamul leader
- HIP HIP HURRAY 1984 City-bred computer engineer becomes a parttime physical training teacher in laidback Ranchi and ends up reforming a bunch of rowdy kids through football. Director Prakash Jha’s first film had innocence, heart and a star Bollywood never had: Nikhil Bhagat
- MOHUN BAGANER MEYE 1976 A Mohun Bagan fan gets married into rival club-loving household. Starring Utpal Dutt and Robi Ghosh, there’s no dearth of humour and mayhem in this Bengali film
- DHANNI MEYE 1971 No village football match had more intrigues and was more passionately contested than this Uttam Kumar-Jaya Bhaduri Bengali film
- KAVALAM CHUNDAN 1965 Malayalam cinema’s charming tribute to the annual snake boat race in Kerala’s backwaters and the village that first won it thrice. The track, Kuttanadan punchayile kochu penne, kuyilaale, is regarded as an all-time classic
- IQBAL 2005 With a little help from a coach drenched in country liquor, a deaf and dumb boy overcomes physical handicaps and social prejudices to succeed as a cricketer. Director Nagesh Kukunoor’s flick engages, shakes and stirs
- FOOTBALL SHOOTBALL HAI RABBA 2002 Spunky Indo-British girl hates cooking aloo gobhi and loves to bend it like Beckham. Director Gurinder Chaddha’s endearing ode to football feminism. Hotspot: Watch Keira Knightley before she became the Keira Knightley
- LAGAAN 2001 In the dustbowls of hinterland India, a bunch of pugnacious villagers challenge their colonial masters to a game of cricket. Director Ashutosh Gowarikar’s blockbuster, brimming with feel-good proto-nationalism, converted cinema halls into stadiums .
- SHATRANJ KE KHILADI 1977 Few Indian films have used sports to examine complex social and political issues. But director Satyajit Ray’s movie based on Premchand’s story is an exception. The movie isn’t only about the game that Sanjeev Kumar and Saeed Jaffery play in homes and open fields; it is also about the game that the colonial rulers played .
Sunday, August 12, 2007
The biggest movie of the year released , I say big due to SRK factor. Yeah the movie is big and the movie is just SUPERB. Best Sports based Indian Movie till date , I say so bcoz Lagaan has a British element there and not a pure Sports movie.
Moving on the movie is about a National Hockey Player Kabir Khan who gets De-famed due to some sabotage in his image after his team loses at the last moment in the final. He is announced as a traitor by people and he subjected to social Boycott . After Seven years of exile he comes back to coach the Women's hockey team which is fighting for its survival. He takes this opportunity to restore his pride .
Then starts the fight of a coach against the hockey association and against people who think that women cant do what men do. He forms a team which has got players from all over the country who are of different thinking's and different in their lifestyle.
Now talking about the Direction of movie, Shimit Amin of Ab tak 56 fame,has done an excellent job keeping the movie right on track without putting in some commercial elements. The sports shots of hockey have been shot brilliantly which excites the audience . The best part is the variety of cast of hockey players which connect with audience very well . There are lot of comic moments among the Girls which make people laugh out loud. There are also some very emotional moments like when the Men's Hockey team gives the women's team a bow.
SRK is just fantastic in his role as coach which he has done with a lot of conviction . He plays a brilliant coach who knows his job very well and doesn't fall prey to Player Politics. He teaches the team to attack the opposition's mind and not physically . He has acted brilliantly in scenes where he is accused of traiting India. He as usual is really KING of all actors and connects very well with the audience.
The movie is a must watch for every Indian and is full of patriotism . With Independence day round the corner the movie is bound to work. The Movie has an excellent message that every SPORT deserves respect and not just CRICKET. The movie will appeal maximum to Indian Women and every women should watch it for sure. There is a feel good factor about the movie which will leave a mark on audience's mind.
The background score and music is just great and suites the movie very well. The SCRIPT by Jaydeep Sahni is very tight and doesn't get Vague at any moment. Hats off to the Entire TEAM. Final word, a must watch for every Indian.
Movie Rating: **** fours stars just for the excellent performances and great script
and direction. Go for it .